An array of science, technology, math, and engineering resources are available to all of our students as part of our growing, hands-on STREAM (Science, Technology, Religion, Engineering, Art and Math) program. Highlights of this cross-curricular initiative include:
- Fully-equipped STREAM labs at each campus that include Ozobots, coding tools, LEGO® Mindstorm activities, Tinker CAD, SCRATCH programming and MIT APP Inventor
- Age and grade-appropriate activities that build on each other and begin in PreK
- Inquiry-based curriculum that focuses on critical thinking, analyses, problem-solving and collaboration
- First LEGO® League teams
- Virtual Reality Google Expeditions
- Sustainability partnership with Saint Francis University
Our LEGO® resources include:
- LEGO® STEAM Park for Pre-K and primary grades builds a basic understanding of gears, motion and measurement.
- LEGO® WeDo 2.0 allows students to make LEGO® items powered by small engines. Students build and strengthen their coding skills as they control movements, speed, and direction of their LEGO® machines through Bluetooth-connected laptops.
- LEGO® MINDSTORMS EV3 uses principles of math, physics, and geometry to help students build possible solutions, test and correct them, and then share what they find. It’s collaborative learning that’s fun and engaging.
Prior to COVID-19, STREAM learning continued through the summer at our popular week-long camps on our East and West campuses. Examples of our sold-out camps included First LEGO® League skills development, filmmaking and animation, and art genres.
The STREAM skills that students learn at DMCA provide a solid foundation from which to grow, and are easily applied to STREAM activities at Bishop McCort beginning in grade 7. The Bishop McCort middle school STREAM lab houses an array of engineering and technology resources, including a vinyl printer/cutter, CNC mill, laser engraver and 3D printer.
The LEGO® program conducted by DMCA is not affiliated, sponsored, or endorsed by LEGO® Education or The LEGO® Group. LEGO®is a trademark of the LEGO® Group. © 2015 The LEGO® Group.